Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Grammar Basics: Unit 30 – might and may

“might” is used to indicate possibility. We use it when we are not certain if something will happen.

Pattern:


might + V (infinitive) …


I might cook spaghetti tomorrow night.
Be careful! You might slip and fall on the ice.

He might get a job working at the gas station.

We might see a movie next weekend.

They might close the store early.


Note:
“might” is the same, regardless of person and number. First person singular, third person plural – it doesn’t matter :).

To form the negation, put “not” between “might” and its infinitive verb.

Negation:


might not + V (infinitive) …

I might not get to the appointment on time.

You might not make the team if you don’t practice.

Who knows, it might not rain tomorrow anyhow.

We might not see him again for a long time.

They might not be able to afford it.


“might” is often used with “I don’t know” or “I’m not sure”:

A: What are you going to eat?

B: I’m not sure. I might try the salmon.


A: Have you decided where you’ll go for your honeymoon?

B: We don’t know. We might go to the Bahamas.


A: Do you know if Tom is coming?

B: I don’t know. I suspect he might not make it.


Recall:


“am going to” indicates certainty – something will happen.
“might” indicates uncertainty – we do not know if something will happen.

Tom is going to stop by later.
(He will certainly come).
Tom might stop by later.
(Maybe he will come, or maybe he won’t. We don’t know.)

I am going to take a nap after lunch.
(I am so tired, I will certainly rest.)
I might take a nap after lunch.
(I don’t know. I have a lot of work to do, so maybe I will do that instead.)

When we are talking about uncertainty, we can use “may” instead of “might”:

Tom may stop by later = Tom might stop by later.


Exercises:


Use the given words to respond to the following questions, using the phrase “I don’t know / I’m not sure. I (He, They, etc.) might…”

Example:


What are you doing this afternoon? (store) ==> I don’t know. I might go to the store this afternoon.

Where is Tom going for vacation? (Florida) ==> I’m not sure. He might go to Florida.

  1. What are you going to eat for lunch? (soup or salad)
  2. Is Mary coming to the party? (have to work)
  3. When are you going to go to the library? (after class)
  4. Did Bill and Jane name their new baby yet? (James)
  5. What’s the weather supposed to be like tomorrow? (rain)
  6. Where is Mark going to college? (University of Illinois)
  7. Does Sally have any pets? (cat)
  8. What color is Jill’s car? (blue)
  9. How many books do the kids have to read for the summer program? (15)
  10. Where would you like to go on your dream vacation? (Switzerland)
  11. How old is John’s son? (six)
  12. Where did Tom and Susan move to? (Colorado)
  13. Is there butter or margarine in this cookie recipe? (butter)
  14. Where does Jim work? (salesman for a manufacturing company)
  15. How fast can Tina type? (as fast as 80 words per minute)
  16. Where are the newlyweds going for their honeymoon? (Hawaii)
  17. Who is the greatest basketball player? (Michael Jordan)
  18. What present are you going to give your mother for her birthday? (box of chocolates)
  19. What is the name of Barbara’s older son? (Christopher)
  20. Who’s calling on the phone? (doctor’s office)

No comments: