Friday, January 04, 2008
Writing Assignment: In the City
Here is a picture of the downtown of some city. Use the vocabulary to help you identify some of the things in the picture, and answer the questions.
The City - Vocabulary
1. pharmacy, drugstore
2. store, place of business
3. clothing store
4. to work
8. by bicycle
9. shopping area, downtown
11. is there, are there
13. big, large
15. to be
16. bigger than
18. the biggest
20. to get, fetch
21. floor, story
23. inside of
25. department store
28. bus stop
29. movie theater
32. station wagon
33. to cross
36. to distinguish, differentiate
39. baked goods
42. opposite, across from
45. traffic light
Answer the following questions. Try to write as complete an answer as you can.
1. Is this scene downtown, or in the country?
2. Is there a lot of traffic on the street?
3. How can you get around (go from one place to another) in the city?
4. Are the majority of the people in the picture riding in cars, or on bikes?
5. Is the station wagon in the picture bigger than the bus?
6. Who is standing under the traffic light?
7. What color are the lights in a traffic light?
8. How many pedestrians are crossing in the crosswalk?
9. Are the towers in the foreground or the background?
10. Where is the mailbox?
11. Which building has two flags hanging from it?
12. In front of which building is the bus stop?
13. Where can you buy baked goods?
14. Which store is between the bakery and the movie theater?
15. Which building is across from the bakery?
16. What is the difference between a bookstore and a library?
17. Which sign is the biggest?
18. Where do you buy aspirin and medicine?
19. Where do the actors work?
20. Where can you buy clothes?
Paragraph: A Visit to the City
Write a paragraph about a trip to the downtown of a big city that you are familiar with.