Thursday, November 29, 2007

For or Since

For is used to indicate a time span, whether definite or indefinite:

We waited for the bus for ten minutes.
I've had my car for several years.


Note that for can be used either for conditions that still apply (present tense), or for conditions that no longer apply (past tense).

Since is used when we mark time from a specific starting point. No ending point is given, indicating that the condition still applies. Thus, any helping verb must be in the present tense – have/has __________ (taught, eaten, seen, been, been ~ing):

No one's seen Tom since last Thursday.
I've been interested in science ever since I got my first microscope in sixth grade.


Choose the right option.

1. We've had our dog (for // since) four years.

2. My teacher has taught at our school (for // since) over six years.

3. I haven't been abroad (for // since) 1989.

4. We've had our dog (for // since) he was a puppy.

5. The washing machine has been broken (for // since) Monday.

6. The baby has had a cold (for // since) four days.

7. The company has been in business (for // since) over 100 years.

8. She's been working on her homework (for // since) she came home from school.

9. He has worked in the same office (for // since) 1996.

10. I haven't watched TV (for // since) ages.

11. The company has been in business (for // since) 1892.

12. He has worked in the same office (for // since) he started his career.

13. We lived at our old house (for // since) five years before we moved to Texas.

14. My teacher has taught at our school (for // since) 2000.

15. The power was out (for // since) six hours.

16. The baby has had a cold (for // since) last Thursday.

17. I haven't been abroad (for // since) ten years.

18. She's been working on her homework (for // since) three hours.

19. It rained (for // since) 40 days and 40 nights.

20. I haven't watched TV (for // since) five months.


Solution tomorrow.

No comments: