Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year! 2011 Resolutions

Every year I make resolutions (which I prefer to think of as "setting goals"), with a track record of limited success. This year is no different: I have been thinking about what sort of things I'd like to accomplish this year, and have written them down in a rough draft. What's new (and hopefully improved) for this year is that insofar as possible, I am appending to each goal specific, actionable steps to help me achieve that goal; e.g., if one of my goals is to complete my writing projects, I have under that goal "Write a minimum of 1000 words a day."

I think that this approach will be especially helpful for those who are learning another language. So, for example, if you want to improve your English in 2011, don't just write "Learn more English" as your resolution. Instead, write:

(example 1)

Increase my vocabulary
  • Learn 100 new words a week
  • ==> Learn 15 new words a day
  • ==> Spend 20 minutes a day learning vocabulary
  • ==> Read one English story a week

(example 2)

Improve my grammar
  • Complete XYZ workbook
  • ==> Work on N sections a week
  • ==> Spend 30 minutes a day doing the workbook
I think this gives you a good idea of setting not only specific goals, but thinking about the specific steps that are necessary for achieving your goals.

What are your goals for English? Think about them, and then think about what steps you can take towards those goals. Make your steps realistic and practical, and you'll be more likely to achieve them.

For some, this might seem like a no-brainer, and, indeed, I have heard before the advice about being specific in setting goals. But the "a-ha" insight for me lies in not only being specific about the goals themselves, but in getting specific about the steps necessary to achieve those goals. It forces me to think more clearly about the goals - thus, the goals are more realistic, giving me a better chance at success.

No comments: