Thursday, February 28, 2008

Grammar Basics: Unit 19 – Present Perfect vs. Simple Past, Part I

So far, we have looked at two ways to talk about past events: the Simple Past, and the Present Perfect. The question is: How can I tell when I need to use Simple Past, and when I need to use Present Perfect?

Present Perfect:
The Present Perfect is used for an action in the past that has a result that is still in effect now.

Examples:

The mechanic has fixed the car. (= The car is fixed now.)

The rain has melted away the snow. (= The snow is melted now.)

I have cleaned the basement. (= The basement is clean now.)

Jim was very sick last week, but he’s gotten better. (= His condition is better now.)



Simple Past:
The Simple Past is used when we are talking about an action in the past with a finished time – something whose results are not necessarily still in effect now.

Examples:

The mechanic fixed the car. (= The car was fixed yesterday, three days ago, last week, last month, etc.)


The rain melted away the snow. (= The snow melted yesterday, three days ago, last week, last month, etc.)

I cleaned the basement. (= I cleaned the basement yesterday, three days ago, last week, last month, etc.)



Note: The Simple Past can also be thought of as a narrative (“story-telling”) tense:

Once upon a time there was a little girl named Goldilocks. She was a naughty little girl who didn’t listen to her mother. One day, she went for a walk in the woods and came upon the house of the three bears….



Sometimes, however, the Simple Past could be used as well as the Present Perfect:

I’ve finished my homework. // I finished my homework.

I’ve lost my book. // I lost my book.

Sam’s bought new shoes. // Sam bought new shoes.



Exercise: Rewrite the sentences, using the present perfect for the verbs in parentheses.

Example:
Tom is not at work. He (left) for the day. ==> Tom is not at work. He’s left for the day.

1. Jack (cut) the grass.

2. She (baked) a cake for tomorrow’s party.

3. We (exercised) this morning.

4. Kelly (ate) supper with her friends.

5. (Did) you (wash) the clothes?

6. The light bulb (burned) out.

7. Mary (was) in an auto accident.

8. The dog (was) fed.

9. Archeologists (dug) up a dinosaur bone.

10. Customers (came) to the store for a free book.


Exercise: Rewrite the sentences, using the simple past for the verbs in parentheses.

Example:
Tim (has gone) to bed. ==> Tim went to bed.

1. The plane (has come) to a complete stop.

2. Sally (has finished) reading War and Peace.

3. Everyone (has gone) home for the day.

4. The senator (has) already (given) his speech.

5. The clock (has stopped).

6. These books (have been checked) out from the library.

7. The luggage (has been put) on the train.

8. Matt (has gotten) first place in several tennis tournaments.

9. The baby (has taken) his first steps.

10. My favorite TV program (has been canceled).

No comments: