Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Grammar Basics: Unit 18 – For, Since, and Ago (Solutions)

Exercise: Complete the following sentences, using “for” or “since.”

Example:

I have been practicing the piano ____________ 3 o’clock. ==> I have been practicing the piano since 3 o’clock.

I have been practicing the piano ____________ 90 minutes. ==> I have been practicing the piano for 90 minutes.

1. Jane has been absent from class since Monday.

2. Jane has been absent from class for several days.

3. The baby has been walking for two months.

4. The baby has been walking since January.

5. We have been in business since 2001.

6. We have been in business for over five years.

7. She’s had a pet monkey since last year.

8. She’s had a pet monkey for six months.

9. Keith has been playing the piano since he was a young child.

10. Keith has been playing the piano for 20 years.


Exercise: Complete the sentences, using the word in the parentheses and “for” or “ago.”

Example:

I went on vacation (three weeks). ==> I went on vacation three weeks ago.
I have been on vacation (a week). ==> I have been on vacation for a week.

1. We have been driving for six hours.

2. We drove to California two months ago.

3. Sam went to the library ten minutes ago.

4. Sam has been at the library for three hours.

5. Jim lived in Hawaii many years ago.

6. Jim has lived in Hawaii for sixty years.

7. The kids played outside for 45 minutes.

8. The kids played outside two days ago.

No comments: