Thursday, February 14, 2008

Grammar Basics: Unit 15 – I used to…

The phrase

S used to V …

indicates some past condition or past activity that does not happen any more.


Examples:

I used to study German (, but I don’t anymore now).
When John was in college, he used to work nights.
Sam is very athletic (, but he used to be lazy).

Negative form: did not (didn’t) use to ~

Examples:

Mary didn’t use to like Chinese food.
Pam didn’t use to listen to classical music.
We didn’t use to watch much TV.

Question form: did S use to ~ ?

Examples:

Did you use to ride your bike when you were young?
Did Dad use to work on a farm as a boy?
Did the teacher use to give the class lots of homework?

Note: “used to” is used only for the past, never the present.

Exercises: Complete the following sentences. Use “used to” or the simple present as necessary.

Examples:

Mary has short hair, but she (have) long hair. ==> Mary has short hair, but she used to have long hair.

John (be) fat, but now he (be) skinny. ==> John used to be fat, but now he is skinny.

1. I (play) the piano every day, but now I (have / not) time.

2. Kim (work) in a restaurant. Now she (work) at a bank.

3. What did you (do) with your friends when you (be) a child?

4. When I (be) little, I (hate) broccoli.

5. Tom (like) to play tennis. He (play) it every day.

6. Before we (move), we (live) in Wisconsin.

7. Did you (walk) to school as a child?

8. William (be) rich, but he (lose) all his money in the stock market.

9. Last summer I (get) up early so I (can) exercise before breakfast.

10. What job did you (have) while you (be) in college?

No comments: